Alchera Project 29 Number Grab Bag/Option No. Seven

Write ANYTHING, so long as all of the following words are used (different tenses may be used, though using the word exactly as it is would be preferred):

Egg nog
Garland
Snowshoes
Fahrenheit
Cloudy
Stocking


Christmas of The Heart


My heart was cloudy and dismal as I went on with the day. Christmas was only a few days away. I couldn't shake the sadness that pervaded me. Christmas was an enchanted time of year when I was younger. As I grew older and more jaded, the spirit had left me. I had turned cold inside. My heart was a chilly 10 degrees fahrenheit. I felt that love could no longer blossom within the wintery land of my emotions.



The thought of spending another Yuletide without Craig caused an ache that ran deep. It was 5 years ago that his car skidded on the frozen highway. It was 5 years ago that he was stolen from me. I remember that night vividly. It was a chilly destitute night. Craig had ran out to the store to pick up some egg nog. He was afraid to let me drive in the horrible weather due to my pregnant state. I stayed in the warmth of our house decorating for the holidays. The tree had delicate hand made ornaments upon it. The staircase was adorned with garlands of holly. I had a batch of gingerbread cookies baking in the oven. It was a warm cozy feeling. No matter how frigid it was outside, I felt like the world was full of warmth and vibrancy.



Shortly after 9pm, the police officers trudged up the long driveway. They were bundled in thick parka jackets. The snow drifts forced them to wear snowshoes. They took one look at my delicate condition. They knew that I would not take the news easily. I was due in two more weeks. I looked like I had swallowed a watermelon whole. I took one look at the officers and instantly knew that my dear Craig was gone. The officers introduced themselves as Michelle and Stan. The told me about the accident. Thankfully, they spared me the horrid details. I sobbed uncontrollably. The pain that I felt in my heart drove me to my knees. Michelle was worried by my actions. Stan called an ambulance just in case. In a few short hours, little Danny was born. He was the spitting image of his father.



"Mommy, why are you crying?" asked Danny quickly breaking me out of my memories. I hugged my beautiful son to me, remembering that in my loss, I gained the greatest joy. I walked over to help him hang his stocking by the fireplace. "I was crying because there are people in this world who are not as fortunate as I am. I have the most handsome son. I love you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Time No Post

Review–An Apple A Day

Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges