Bless Your Heart by Lindy Ryan


Bless Your Heart

by Lindy Ryan narrated by Stephanie Németh Parker


This book is listed as a horror-mystery.  I do feel that it is more of just a horror book.  That is perfectly fine with me.  I spent my teen years reading Clive Barker and Leigh Nichols (Dean Koontz pseudonym).  Plus, being a teen in the 80s, I spent time watching horror films such as Nightmare on Elm Street.  So, going into this book, I was ready for horror and blood.  

This book is based on the Romanian mythology of the Strigoi.  I know that many people are not aware of the stories surrounding them.  So, the picture on the cover doesn't really make sense to many.  The Strigoi are a mix between a vampire and a zombie.  They start out as a zombie/ghoul type of being that will feed on humans and gain strength.  As they gain strength, they will start to appear more and more human.  In the original tales of the Strigoi, they can turn invisible and shapeshift.  That didn't occur in this book though.  However, the beheading and placing the head face down is mentioned in the book as it is in the mythology.  

I really love when authors blend mythology and their writing.  Lindy Ryan did a wonderful job of spinning a centuries old tale into a modern yarn.  She definitely did her research when it came to the Strigoi and the legends surrounding them.  

This was the first time that I had listened to a book by Stephanie Németh Parker.  For the most part, she did a pretty good job.  There were a few characters that were a little on the annoying side.  I am not sure if it was that she was overexaggerating them or if that was the way that they were truly written in the book.  For instance, the coroner smacked his lips every time he talked.  The narrator would make the noise as she was talking in his voice.  It did start to grate after a while.  Again, it could just be the way the character was written though.  If the sentence said that he was smacking his lips as he said something, then I guess she would have to do it.  

Overall, I enjoyed the book.  They way it ended, it does seem like there might be a sequel.  I actually hope there will be.  I am definitely on the lookout if there will be.

Thank you NetGalley and MacMillan Audio for providing me with a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for an open and honest review.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Time No Post

Review–An Apple A Day

Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges