Dead Things Are Closer Than They Appear by Robin Wasley


Dead Things Are Closer Than They Appear

by Robin Wasley narrated by Eunice Wong


Can I start by saying "WOW"?  The audiobook is a little over 12 hours long, but I finished it in one day.  I did not want to stop listening at all.  Robin Wasley sped out of the gate with her first book, a great combo fantasy/horror book.  

First up, the narration.  Eunice Wong was incredible.  Her voicing of the story kept me on the edge of my seat.  There was depth to her characters as well as range in her intonation of the actual story.  When characters were whispering, she did too.  If the characters were anxious, you could feel it in her voice.  I will definitely be looking for more books narrated by Eunice!

The story starts off describing the sleepy little town where tourists visit to see where the magic used to happen.  However, the fault lines were sealed off ages ago and the magic is no longer accessible.  There is one caveat to that though.  There are guardians who hold keys to unlock the fault line.  No one knows who they are or how they are chosen.  And everyone is just goes about their day staring at the ghostly impressions that rise up regularly.  

Unfortunately, things take a quick turn and part of the fault line opens.  Chaos ensues as "Shells" start to climb out of the chasm that has opened.  It is up to a group of teens to put a stop to the madness.  

Robin wove a story rich with imagery and intrigue.  My heart was literally pounding at many points during the book.  She would switch between the anticipation of the horror into the calmness of simple conversations with such ease.  I look forward to hearing more books from this creative author.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for providing me with a copy of this audiobook in exchange for an open and honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Time No Post

Review–An Apple A Day

Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges