Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Things about Wakela Runen


Today's Thursday Thirteen is a list of 13 places I want to see again or for the first time before we move out of Florida. I am not sure how long it will be until we move though. Our house has been on the market since the beginning of the year.

1. Bach Tower - I remember visiting this as a child. We had always called it the singing tower. I never really knew its name until I got older and started missing it. Every time we would go to Disney, we always stopped here on the way home. The gardens were always so beautiful. I remember walking around them with my mom and dad. Then the tower bells would start. No matter where in the gardens you were you could hear the songs. It always seemed so magical to me.

2. Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens - I have only been there once. Unfortunately it with one of those types of people who is always in a rush. He could never really appreciate anything. Instead of looking at the beauty surrounding us, he was commenting on the noise from a highway that was close by or on the fact that you could see workers in the distance setting up for some event. So, I would love to go back there without a stick-in-the-mud,

3. Solomon's Castle - I had heard of this place ages ago, but I have never gone. It is a castle that artist Howard Solomon built himself. There is supposedly even a replica of a Spanish Galleon in the moat surrounding the castle.

4. Kingsley Plantation House - This is yet another of those places that I have heard a lot about but have never had the pleasure of seeing. This is a plantation house that was built by one of the Spanish settlers in 1814.

5. Walt Disney World - I hate to admit it, but the last time I went there it was for Grad Night back in 1989. Before that was shortly after my dad passed away, my family brought me there to cheer me up. And before that it was many, many years. Since Grad Night doesn't count because you are too busy watching the concerts to enjoy Disney and I couldn't really enjoy it after my dad passed away, the last time I was truly at Disney was as a small child. I have to go back.

6. Universal Studios - I have only been to Universal Studios a few times. One of which was with the same person who couldn't allow me to enjoy the Morikami Gardens. Need I say more about that?? Well, said person wouldn't let me go on rides that I wanted.

7. Busch Gardens - I haven't been there since I was a kid either. I even lived in Tampa at one point and still didn't make it there. In fact, I lived only a few blocks away from there. Now that is just sad!!

8. St. Augustine - Now that town is beautiful. I remember going there once in middle school for a field trip. Sonia, Susan, and I had so much fun running around there. It was incredible.

9. Kennedy Space Center - The same field trip that took us to St. Augustine also brought us to Kennedy Space Center. This was a big thing for our school too! The school was Apollo Middle School and we were the Apollo Rockets. There is even a space capsule from one of the Apollo missions in the front of the school. So going to Kennedy Space Center was a real treat. We were taught to appreciate the space missions.

10. Miami Duck Tours - I know that this is a touristy thing right in my own backyard, but OMG it looks so cool. It is a tour through Miami on this vehicle that can drive on the roads and sail across the water. It was so cool looking! I saw it on TV while flipping channels. I just want to go do it since it looks so strange!

11. Jungle Island - Growing up this was actually two separate exhibits. I remember Monkey Jungle and Parrot Jungle rather well. However, Hurricane Andrew devastated both of them. They tried to repair and reopen, but it was just too much. Then a few years ago, they joined together and formed Jungle Island in a completely new location. I would love to go see this new and improved place.

12. Cassadega - This small town in central Florida is an attraction unto itself. It was started when George Colby was led by his spirit guides through the wilderness. In 1898, he built a Spiritualist Camp. This town of 100, now boasts mediums, healings, meditation groups, and much more. I have always been intrigued by this. Is there something about this site that draws people here?

13. Coral Castle - This place is just eerie. I still can't figure out how this normal sized man was able to move all of those huge pieces of coral by himself without machinery. This castle was built entirely by one man to prove his love to a young woman who left him. It is really sad, but very romantic.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!







Comments

Anonymous said…
I've heard of some ofthese places but have never been. Florida is definately on my list of places to explore. My best friend went to the Japanese gardens and said it was the most awsome place!
nikki the red said…
i'm still in love with wdw as a 30 year old!!

my tt: http://www.shebecameabutterfly.net/?p=187
Michelle said…
THanks for stopping by my blog. I think we all take for granted the places that are nearby and we don't visit them. I hope you get to visit your 13 places someday.
Dallas Meow said…
I hope to GET to Florida soon!
SandyCarlson said…
You're definitely a Florida lady! I haven't been there in years. I used to go with my parents to see my father's mother. I remember the heat seemed to have a life all its own and that it seemed to be a place of eternal, magical summer. Thanks for bringing some of that back for me!
Anonymous said…
I did the Boston Duck Tour, and it was a lot of fun!

I've never been to Florida, though. Some day!
Carina said…
Sounds like you've had a lot of fun. I don't think I've been to a single one of these places. I'll have to put them on my maybe-someday-list.
wow there are alot of things to see besides goofy in Florida LOL

Aline
Norma said…
I don't travel to Florida often, but I've been to many of these. If I go again I want to see the Tiffany Chapel at the Morse Museum in Winter Park.

My daughter has Hashimoto's. A frustrating disease!

http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/10/4206-thursday-13-what-i-do-now-i-didnt.html
Anonymous said…
Thanks for commenting on my Thursday 13. This is a great list! :-)
I've never lived in Florida but so much of my family has that I've been to a lot of those. I haven't been to Busch Gardens for years and I really do like it there...you should do it all THIS weekend! LOL
Melessa Gregg said…
My aunt retired to Florida several years ago and my parents have a timeshare there. I thought I had seen everything in my frequent visits there, but obviously I have not. This is a great list! Thanks for visiting me.
Harris Channing said…
Great list. I'm ready to go!!

Harris.
Andi said…
Well...I messed up when posting on the Linky. The second one for me is the correct link. :-)
Paisley Scott said…
Blogger ate my comment! Grrr! Anyway, I was saying how I went to school in FL and I sure miss it. Grad Night -- ahh memories. Nothing like the 80s music floating through the closed theme park with bunches of seniors huh? I also loved field trips to San Augustine. I have a friend who wears by Cassadega, too. I'd love to visit that one. Great list. Thanks for stopping by mine!
~hugs,
Paisley
Danica Favorite said…
I've been to a few of these places. I wouldn't mind going back, and I'd definitely love to see the others.
Anonymous said…
I would love to visit these places.
What a great idea for TT.
Unknown said…
That's a great list! My daughter and her husband will be moving to Florida early next year. I'm going to bookmark your post and pass the names of those places along to them. Happy TT :)
Sherry Lewis said…
What a cool list! You've made me want to explore Florida myself. Happy TT!
Andi said…
Ah, these all sound like great places to visit. I would love to see Coral castle. It sounds so pretty!
Happy TT, and thanks for stopping by ;-)
Santa's Elf said…
These are some wonderful sites! I hope you get to see them all. I've been to Disneyworld and Universal, but would love to go again. Thx for your visit this week!
Cindy Swanson said…
Wakela, these places sound fascinating! Hey, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. :)
Rims said…
Wow Hope you get a chance to visit / re visit all the places

Thanks for stopping by. Happy TT
What?? No Weeki Wachee?? How could you not include the mermaids??

I agree with you that St. Augustine rocks. It's like taking a step back into time...
Anonymous said…
Hey, fellow Floridian, and welcome to TT. St Augustine is lovely. I have been several times.
Hootin Anni said…
I HAVE A TREAT FOR YOU --
YOU CAN FIND IT AND PICK IT UP ON MY SATURDAY ENTRY!!

Happy weekend.
Anonymous said…
Hi!I would love to see walt disney too.Maybe the one in Hongkong which is nearer to our place.
Kathy said…
Wow! You have travelled to alot of places! I'm envious!
Just returning a visit to my site...have a great weekend!
What a great list. This was the theme of one of my first TT's. So cool to see someone else's dream destinations.

Thanks for visiting my TT. And please come by my blog for a sweet something just for you.

Cindi
Rims said…
Wow...hope you get to visit all the places

Thanks for stopping by and yes I had loads of fun during the Diwali party...Its been a wonderful surprise to hear from you that you know about Diwali :D

Happy TT! Happy Thanksgiving and take care

Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Long Time No Post

Review–An Apple A Day

Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges