Weekend Writing Workout

Found this little gem over at a great blog called The Accidental Novelist. I thought I would give it a try.

The Precious Object Exercise

1) Decide which character you are going to develop / work on for this exercise.

2) Pick a random object, let's say a drum.

3) Imagine that this object is the MOST precious object in the world to your character.

Set your timer for 5-7 minutes. Using the start line below, write (without stopping, without editing) until your timer goes off:

The most precious object in my character's life is her...

_________________________________________________________________

The most precious object in Sarah's life is her statue of Bast. All of her life, she had been drawn to cats. As a child, kittens would follow her home from school. She had posters of cats hanging from every available space on the wall as a teenager. She couldn't get cats out of her head. She also had these recurring dreams of being in ancient Egypt as a priestess of cats. She couldn't understand it.

One year, her mom had bought her a statue as a gift. Her mom didn't know who the statue was, she just saw it as a pretty cat lady. This statue was one she had seen in her dreams growing up. There was a huge statue just like it outside of the temple in her dreams. Now she had her very own for in her house. She couldn't believe she received one. She searched high and low trying to find out as much information as she could on this statue.

It was during this search that she found out about Bast and her followers. There were people even today that followed in the beliefs of Bast. She needed more information. She was drawn to this. It felt like she belonged. She now felt like the world made sense to her. She felt like she finally came home.

________________________________________________________________________

(If you have the time, you can go into the MIDDLE of this exercise and pull out a line and write for 5-7 more minutes, using that line as a start line. I think doing this THREE times is best. It gets you quite deep into it all)

4) Decide what scene you are going to write.

5) Decide who will be in this scene with your character. (example: Helen's mother and brother)

6) Write your scene, incorporating your object, and starting with this line:

"What are you doing with that?"

_________________________________________________________________

I don't really have the time right now to do that part. I am going to come back and finish that later.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oOh that's a good writing exercise.. and I like what you've written so far =)

Maybe I'll try it too if I can get myself to concentrate on it, hehe
Anonymous said…
Oh, and you asked me on my blog where you can find green tea ice cream. You can usually get it at an asian supermarket... assuming they have ice cream, and at least around here, most Japanese and a lot of Chinese food places have it on their menus as well.

:)
Wakela said…
I have rarely gone into an asian supermarket since most of our chain stores here have asian foods. I will have to go into one and see if I can get that ice cream.

It was a fun writing exercise to do.
Danika Dinsmore said…
Wakela - Thank you so much for posting my exercise and for sharing your results. I don't often get to see the results, actually.

You inspired me to leave a Mr. Linky at the bottom of the weekend workout exercise so that people CAN share their work with others. I usually post them on Fridays, but sometimes not until Saturday morning. I hope you don't mind, I put you first on the link.

Kristinaq - I love green tea icecream!

Popular posts from this blog

Long Time No Post

Review–An Apple A Day

Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges