Secret Ingredient Tuesday #2 Rice
This weeks secret ingredient is Rice. The only ones that I have used are from AllRecipes.com. My family had never been big on cooking rice when I was growing up, so I don't have any that were passed down like I had from last weeks recipes. Each recipe from AllRecipes.com was submitted to that site. So I even included who submitted them to that site to give those people credit.
Risotto alla Milanese
submitted by Manuela
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/2 quarts beef stock
- 3 tablespoons beef marrow
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon saffron powder
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt half of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Simmer the onion and beef marrow in the butter for about 10 minutes. When the onion is soft, remove the onion and marrow from the pan using a slotted spoon, and set aside. (I like to leave the onions in.)
- Saute the rice in the pan over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Stir constantly so the rice will not stick and burn. Stir in one ladle of beef stock, and keep stirring until it is mostly absorbed, ladling and stirring in more of the broth as well as the white wine in the same manner, until the rice is almost al dente. Stir in the saffron, remaining butter, and 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Serve as a bed for ossibuchi or by itself with as much of the remaining Parmesan cheese sprinkled over as you like.
Lemon Lentil Rice
SUBMITTED BY: Mini Jyothish
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds, and cook until they pop. Once the seeds have popped like popcorn, add the carrot and green beans. Sauté them for about 2 minutes, just to mingle the flavors.
- Pour in the water, and add the rice and lentils. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice and lentils are tender. Stir in the lemon juice, and season with salt and chili powder. Let stand covered for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
Rice with Sesame Seeds
SUBMITTED BY: Nausheen
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/2 cup tamarind paste
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Fluff rice with a fork.
- Heat 1/2 the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and saute the garlic paste and ginger paste until lightly browned. Mix in the tamarind paste, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Gradually mix in the rice. Cook and stir until well coated.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small skillet, and saute sesame seeds until lightly browned. Mix into the rice mixture. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
15-Minute Cheesy Tuna Dinner
SUBMITTED BY: Minute® Rice
(This one was on the Allrecipe.com site, but was submitted by the Minute Rice company)
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained, flaked
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 cups Minute® White Rice, uncooked
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Mix soup and milk in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add tuna and peas; mix well. Return to boil.
- Stir in rice and cheese; cover. Reduce heat to low; cook 5 minutes. Stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with canned French fried onions or crushed potato chips just before serving, if desired.
15-Minute Vanilla Rice Pudding
SUBMITTED BY: JELL-O
(This one was on the Allrecipe.com site, but was submitted by the JELL-O company)
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 pkg. (4 serving size) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
- Bring 1 cup of the milk to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in rice and raisins; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare pudding as directed on package with remaining 2 cups milk.
- Add rice mixture to prepared pudding; stir. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap; cool 5 minutes. Stir. Serve warm or chilled.