Review–An Apple A Day

 

Apples are an all-American success story-each ...Image via Wikipedia

Book Description

 

From Old Testament proverbs to modern phrases like "the best things in life are free," An Apple a Day takes a fun look at expressions that "have stood the test of time."


Read through from start to finish or search through the list of hundreds of the most common proverbs, arranged from A to Z for easy reference. You'll learn about each proverb's surprising origins, why some are valid and others are not, the derivation and meanings behind them, and their relevance in today's society.

Includes entries like:

  • Two heads are better than one: Like the less-familiar "Four eyes see better than two," this proverb extols the benefits of having someone else help you make up your mind-and it's a view that goes back to at least the fourteenth century. But while it is always useful to have a second opinion (A sounding board? Someone else to blame?) it might also be worth bearing in mind the disadvantages of design or decision-making by committee: something that really pleases no one. So whereas two heads may well be better than one, three could be a crowd.
  •  
  • Laughter is the best medicine: This idea is an ancient one and is found in, appropriately, the book of Proverbs: "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." It has prompted a surprising amount of research, with the result that some scientists claim that laughter has the same benefits as a mild workout-it stretches muscles, sends more oxygen to the tissues, and generally makes you feel healthier. One study even claims that laughing heartily for 10-15 minutes burns 50 calories. But let's pause for thought here. The world may laugh with you over a joke or a rerun of Seinfeld, but if you make a habit of laughing heartily for 10-15 minutes for no apparent reason, the world is going to think you are nuts and cross the street to avoid you. It may be worth striving for a happy medium.
  •  
  • An apple a day keeps the doctor away: A common British folk saying, this is one of the few proverbs that can be taken at face value. All it means is that apples are good for you. The Romans knew this and so did the Anglo-Saxons, who listed the crabapple as one of the nine healing plants given to the world by the god Woden. They probably didn't know, as we now do, that apples contain fiber, antioxidants, and sundry vitamins and minerals that help to prevent osteoporosis, heart disease, and various forms of cancer. But they did know that they were cooling, cleansing, and soothing, whether taken as a natural diuretic or applied externally to inflammations. An anonymous medieval text called The Haven of Health recommended eating an apple to "relieve your feelings" if you were going to bed alone, while Ayurvedic medicine says that apples cure headaches and promote vitality. So the jury is out on whether or not apples are good for your sex life, but they are certainly good for pretty much everything else. Guaranteed to amuse and inform, this is the perfect gift for any language lover. Make this and all of the Reader's Digest Version books a permanent fixture on your eReader, and you'll have instant access to searchable knowledge. Whether you need homework help or want to win that trivia game, this series is the trusted source for fun facts.

    image

    Book Review

     

    Yesterday, I had the wonderful opportunity to have a guest post by the author of this book.  If you have not had a chance, I really suggest you read her post, A Quiz On Proverbs.

    First thing I noticed about this book was that it was published by Reader’s Digest.  I don’t know about your house, but I know in my house growing up we were always told that the Reader’s Digest books were ones to keep and cherish.  I know that every time I had to write a paper or look something up, my mom had some Reader’s Digest non-fiction book that would point me in the direction.  So knowing this little tidbit of information, I raised my bar for reviewing.  Because in order to belong to one of those hallowed Reader’s Digest books, it would have to be better then the rest.

    I have to honestly say that this book did not let me down.  It definitely delivered on my “Reader’s Digest” expectations and then some.

    The authors wit and insight lends a wonderful balance to the information that she presents.  Not only is she recounting how these wonderful proverbs came into being, she is also explaining how some of them are used incorrectly.

    One popular proverb is “All that glitters is not gold”.  I knew that it had originally been glisters and not glitters.  However, I was under the impression from other things that I have read that this was originally attributed to William Shakespeare.  Yes, he had used it in The Merchants of Venice.  Yet, the words date back much earlier than him. 

    Each of the proverbs is listed in the book in alphabetical order.  It makes it so much easier to find specific ones.  I really like that Caroline will put pages numbers when she references another proverb while explaining one.  This makes it easier to flip over to read that other page.

    Not only does she include the very definition of a proverb in her introduction, but there is also a wonderful index in the back.

    This is a must have for every book shelf.  

  •  

    Enhanced by Zemanta



  •  

    In conjunction with the Wakela's World Disclosure Statement, I received a product in order to enable my review. No other compensation has been received. My statements are an honest account of my experience with the brand. The opinions stated here are mine alone.



    Comments

    Hi, I found you on the New Friend Friday blog hop. Stop by and say "hi" if you get a chance. http://wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com/
    Amber said…
    Newest follower from the Boost My Blog Friday blog hop! Hope you stop by and follow back! Have a great day! (:



    Amber
    http://beautifullybellafaith.blogspot.com
    Beanie Babies said…
    Usually I don’t leave a comment but I wanted to let you know that I really like your site.
    terrasse bois exteri said…
    I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will add your site to my reading list and check again here regularly. I beleive I'll learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!
    Alain said…
    Well written page, well researched and useable for me in the future. I am so delightful you took the time and effort to write this web page. Will be back soon to read more about this matter.
    gaspard said…
    You are so cool! I do not think I have read something like this recently. So nice to read somebody with some original ideas on this matter. Really thank you for writing about this up. This blog is something that is needed on the web, someone with some originality. good job for bringing something different to the internet!
    Deangelo Ermitano said…
    I don't commonly comment but I gotta say thankyou for the post on this special one : D.
    Leonila Balwinski said…
    Whenever did stars grow to be so self-serious? Does nobody remember the Dean Martin roasts? Performers used to be capable of laugh at them selves.
    buy trampoline said…
    I have been surfing on the web more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any compelling post like this one. It's pretty worth plenty for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made good information as you did, the net will be much more worthy than ever before.
    diet pills said…
    WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..extra wait .. …
    Sigrid Prier said…
    Hey, thanks for the blog post.Really thank you! Really Great.
    Chang Segerman said…
    I believe that is one of the most significant information for me. And i am happy studying your article. But want to statement on some basic issues, The website style is great, the articles is really nice : D. Excellent task, cheers
    Hi, my very own legal name is truly Martha generika potenzmittel on top of that, My husband and i have always been having lived on the inside Miami! My partner and i already have an good potenzmittel kaufen Site with the help of my own partner at this time!
    magasin jouet said…
    Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea
    This is one awesome post.Really thank you! Really Cool.
    Violin said…
    I enjoy to great songs on the violin! I find it very helpful.
    Irvine Plumber said…
    Fantastic article post.Thanks Again. Fantastic.
    Fantastic post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Thank you!
    Thank you for your blog post. Really Great.
    I value the article. Keep writing.
    I think this is a real great article. Want more.
    A round of applause for your blog article.Really looking forward to read more.
    Roll Up Banner said…
    Very neat post.Thanks Again. Really Great.
    Really appreciate you sharing this article post. Great.
    boys furniture said…
    Hello there, I found your website via Google whilst looking for a comparable matter, your website came up. It seems great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks for future reference.
    Rod Filmore said…
    Hey. I just found some coupons for those people interested in good hosting from a company called HostGator. CostChomp25 saves you 25%, and CostChomp994 gives you $9.94 off your order. I've used the 25% one and it worked out great! Hope this helps someone! :)
    I am not in a position to view this web site properly on saffari I think there is a drawback
    Howdy! Good read i think your blog post is fantastic with sublime information which i will add to my bookmarks. Thanks a lot.
    Eine beeindruckende Aktie, Ich habe gerade diese auf einen Kollegen, der dabei ein wenig auf dieser Analyse gegeben wurde. Und er in der Tat kaufte mir Frühstück, weil ich es für ihn gefunden .. Lächeln. Lassen Sie mich also umformulieren, dass: Dank für die Behandlung! Aber ja Thnkx für die Ausgaben der Zeit, dies zu erörtern, fühle ich mich stark darüber und lese gerne mehr zu diesem Thema. Wenn möglich, wie Sie Know-how zu werden, würde es Ihnen etwas ausmachen Aktualisierung Ihres Blogs mit mehr Details? Es ist sehr hilfreich für mich. Big Daumen nach oben für diese Blog-Post!
    autoresponders said…
    Interesting article, just one request, would you be able to explain the second paragraph in more depth please? Thanks
    seslichat said…
    The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod's. It works well, but isn't as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that's not an issue, but if you're planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod's larger screen and better browser may be important.
    Jin Walles said…
    This web site is my intake , very fantastic pattern and perfect content material .
    Coolest Gadgets said…
    Thank You...

    I saw this really great post today....

    Popular posts from this blog

    Long Time No Post

    Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges