Book Tour–Chasing Zebras

image

Book Description

 

"I look for zebras because other doctors have ruled out all the horses." — Dr. Gregory House Medical students are taught that when they hear hoofbeats, they should think horses, not zebras, but Dr. House's unique talent of diagnosing unusual illnesses has made House, M.D. one of the most popular and fascinating series on television. In Chasing Zebras: The Unofficial Guide to House, M.D., Barbara Barnett, widely considered a leading House expert, takes fans deep into the heart of the show's central character and his world, examining the way this medical Sherlock Holmes's colleagues and patients reflect him and each other; how the music, settings, and even the humor enhance our understanding of the series' narrative; what the show says about modern medicine, ethics, and religion; and much more. Complete with an episode-by-episode guide and numerous interviews with cast members, producers, and writers, Chasing Zebras is an intelligent look at one of television's most popular shows.

Book Review

 

When I first heard that there was an opportunity to take part in a book tour for an unofficial guide to House, M.D., I went all fan girl and started jumping around the room.  I absolutely love this show.  And I remembered in the past the unofficial guides that I had for other shows I loved.  This book definitely didn’t disappoint.

This book takes you through more then I ever expected.  First you get to see all the behind the scenes fun stuff.  Such as how they came up with the idea for the show. 

Then there is the section on the characters.  Here, they talk about all the back story that you have learned through the various seasons.  Its interesting to see how the little tidbits that we pick up in each show can string together to form a nicely woven back story for the characters.

My favorite section is the guide to the episodes.  It lists all the episodes from seasons 1 through 6.  For each episode, it gives you the writer and director.  Then it lists the patients of the week.  After that it gives you a small synopsis of the episode.  Then comes the really fun stuff.  You have the zebra of the week.  This is the symptom that the patient came into the hospital with.  And anyone who watches House knows that even though it looks like one thing, it never is what it seems.  Then you have the epiphany, this is basically the AHA moment where they start to put the pieces together.  The iconic moment in House history tells us what major part of the House lore is revealed in this episode.  A fine bromance shows the developing friendship between Wilson and House.  And there are many more little categories that they touch base upon.

I absolutely love sitting there watching the House marathons with this book.  Since receiving this book, I have been lucky enough to catch a few marathons.  Plus the occasional rerun late at night.  Its interesting to see everything that I had missed before in the episodes.  There is so much detail that it is way to easy to overlook.  This book helps us to find the hidden treasures in each episode.

This is a must have for any House fan!

Enhanced by Zemanta


Comments

Jeanne Kraus said…
I love watching House. I love the characters. It is very character driven. As a writer, I like that aspect of it. I like it that he is so absolutely terribly behaving most of the time. I like his relationship with his boss, now a personal one and that cute doctor who is his best friend. Can't remember his name. THe funniest one I have seen was a new one where he babysat and the kid swallowed a dime. HIlarious. Lucky you to read that. I will have to get it.
Lorri said…
Let me start by saying nice post. Im not sure if it has
been talked about, then again when using Chrome I can never get that the entire
site to load without refreshing a lot of times.
Could just be my computer. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Time No Post

Review–An Apple A Day

Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges