Fine Black Lines

image

Book Description

 

Written by a breast cancer survivor, hailed by professionals and patients as an excellent resource, loved by its thousands of readers, the award-winning Fine Black Lines provides courage, comfort and hope through its introspective journal entries, startling photographs, succinct poetry and reflections.

Book Review

 

Having lost my dad to cancer when I was only 16, this book really hit home.  But not for just that reason either.  This book is great for anyone going through some major health battles. 

Lois Tschetter Hjelmstad takes you through the rough landscape of trying to get through each day while not knowing what lays ahead of you health wise. 

The poetry that she writes will touch your heart and soul in such profound ways.  The to read her journal entries alongside of them, you can see what was going on at the time and how she was feeling emotionally as she wrote each poem.

If you or a loved one is going through a battle such as this, I highly suggest this book.  It lets you know that it is okay to feel the way you do and that there is always hope if you look for it and hold on.

One of my favorite poems is '”I Wish I Had My Teddy Bear”.  One of the things that I deal with frequently is feeling alone in my illnesses.  Yes, my family and friends are here for me, but they don’t know what it is like to go through life like this.  They don’t know what its like to wake up in the morning and not be able to move for about half an hour because every fiber in your body feels like it is stiff as a board.  They don’t know the pain I go through.  So you feel alone.  Thankfully, I do have a teddy bear that I can snuggle up to and cry myself to sleep often.  And this poem completely embodies the why of it.  So now I don’t feel silly being a 40 year old woman who still holds on to a ratty old teddy bear that was given to me by a boyfriend when I was merely 18 years old.

In conjunction with the Wakela’s World Disclosure Statement, I received a product in order to enable my review. No other compensation has been received. My statements are an honest account of my experience with the brand. The opinions stated here are mine alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Time No Post

Review–An Apple A Day

Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges