update on my mom

Well, it seems that even though I work in the healthcare field, I am continually being amazed at the lack of care it has for patients. I am not talking about the office workers or staff of the doctors and centers. I am talking about the corporations that are completely in charge of your life, the insurance companies. First, they had discharged my mom straight from ICU to a nursing home while having heart complications. Now, they are discharging her from the nursing facility to our home even though she isn't completely mobile yet. We have an older home and a wheelchair is pretty much not an option. The hallway is too narrow for it. All we can do is to wheel her up and back. We can sort of squeeze the wheelchair into one of the rooms. However, the bathroom is completely out of the question. The door is much narrower then a normal door. So unless we completely take the door & door frame off, then there is no way to get the wheelchair into there. I work full time so my mom will be home during the day by herself. They are not setting her up with a home health nurse. They are only going to have physical therapy come in three times a week to do some exercises with her.

I can't believe this! I can guarantee that if the president of Avmed's mom were in this situation, she would have been left in that hospital until she was completely stable. Then she would have been left in the nursing facility until she could walk on her own. Of course, I am not the president of Avmed. So instead, my mom has to sit at home with no one to care for her during the day. She is going to be stuck in one place with no one to get her meals for her and no one to help her to the bathroom. What am I supposed to do? Quit my job to take care of her? I can't afford that!! My health isn't great and I need the health insurance.

At least my sisters will be coming over in the evenings to help out so the entire thing doesn't fall on me. Still, that leaves eight hours a day with no one to care for her. I am still in shock by this! I am completely outraged!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Time No Post

Review–An Apple A Day

Review–Therabreath Mouth Wetting Lozenges